Saturday 2 April 2011

Erwin Blumenfeld

I have been looking at 50s fashion and life style most because of the death of Elizabeth Taylor. Her fashion spirit bring me all the way to 50s.....

At first, I am looking at the 50s fashion, I have found a lot 50s inspired designs and also I am looking at their lifestyle as well. 50s is an very interesting era. It is traditional and yet modern. People are so care of family value. The idea family of them are hardworking husband, lovely housewife and well behaved kids, they go to church every Sunday. ( This is my idea family as well, I am so wanna live in 50s! ).

However, the 50s youth and teenager are into freedom and modern lifestyle. They go to college, they have party. The want to live exactly as celebrity lifestyle. Boys want to live like James Dean, have plenty of girlfriend and " little bastard" as their ride. However, I think they do not wan died young like James Dean. There is plenty of fashion icon at 50s. Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Marlon Brando, Elvis Presley.

The magazine, music, movie and radio are the source they understood celebrity lifestyle. The fashion magazine like Vogue, Harper Bazaar, Playboy, Life and etc.


Life 


Vogue


Playboy

After more research of the magazine. I am fall in love with one of the photographer, his works are so stunning and alive. Despite of the photo equipment in 50s most of the photograph are boring and dead and yet his photograph are full of movement and alive. His name is Erwin Blumenfeld. 

Erwin was famous American photographer of German origin. He was Jewish. In the 1940s and 1950s he became famous for his fashion photography, working for Vogue and Harper's Bazaar, and also for artistic nude photography. He love to took photo of everything inspired him, like landscape, architecture and etc. His personal works are more in black and white however colour for fashion magazine. He making elegant images and developing complex techniques using solarization and printing using mirrors. 

I am really admired of his personal works, especially nude photography. They way he using shadows, mirror and light are inspired me. 










His works are always full way surprised and so alive. Every photography are like art, they all have the movement. His works are so inspired me. He give me an inspiration of twisted the fabric and create the body movement and using the pleating techniques to create the illusion. 

I have not specific images yet but this is good start.

Enjoy the pictures fella!

No comments:

Post a Comment